Any experienced market or entrepreneur understands that ranking high on popular search engines like Google can go a long way to achieve success. However, this is easier said than done. After all, with a multitude of elements and signals that go into their algorithms remaining a closely guarded secret, it can be more than a little challenging to elevate one’s position in the SERPs or search engine results pages. Fortunately, there are several digital marketing strategies like custom web design whose efficacy has been proven throughout the years which businesses can leverage to raise their position and establish an online presence. And in this brief guide, we’ll discuss a few strategies and tips that should help you build a website that ranks higher than your competitors’.
Search engine optimization techniques
When done correctly, SEO or search engine optimization can boost a consistent stream of inbound web traffic regularly. While there are many different techniques that a business can use to improve its search rankings, those listed below are the most effective methods that no SEO campaign should ever be without.
- Upload high-quality content. One of the reasons why websites fail to elevate traffic and keep their intended audience engaged is because the content they offer lacks value or substantial length. The World Wide Web might be a crowded space for businesses across all industries, and if you’re looking to garner the attention of search engines, you’ll need to come up with high-quality content that is as informative and in-depth as it is eye-catching. For instance, if the length of your competitors’ articles averages around four-hundred words, try to provide double lengthy and rich content that addresses the users’ most prominent needs.
- Enhance the backlink profile of the website. For many search engines, backlinks remain as the backbone of their algorithms. They’re undoubtedly one of the elements that can influence the rankings of a business over its competition. If you’re struggling to keep up or gain an edge over your rivals, there’s a good chance that they’ve got a lot more authoritative and trusted links supporting their websites. The good news is that you can get ahead by adopting a few key techniques in link-building, such as purchasing quality listings in specific Web directories, commenting on relevant blog posts, consistently uploading content, etc. Doing so will help you become an authority website in your chosen niche, and as a result, receive more backlinks in the process.
- Research on keywords. If you have ever looked up information on SEO, chances are that you’ve come across keyword research. In a nutshell, it is essentially the process of finding the terms and phrases that people tend to use when searching for information, goods, or services on a specific business. The reason why keyword research is a critical part of search engine optimization is that it allows the brand to understand what consumers are searching for and, in turn, makes it easier to reel them into the fold. Additionally, it gives search engines a much better idea of what your website is about and helps rank it accordingly.
- Improve on-page search engine optimization – On-page search engine optimization refers to all the technical areas on how the website is structured. This includes layout, speed in which it is rendered, and everything that affects that user experience as a whole. Because this can have an effect on search rankings like custom web design, it is imperative that everything is on point.
- Loading speed. The longer the web page loads, the higher the chances that users will leave, which will result in higher bounce rates and lower rankings. If the website loads quicker, users are less likely to get frustrated and you’ll keep them engaged much longer than you would have otherwise.
- Functionality. Broken links, duplicate content, and other similar issues can negatively affect the ranking of a website. As such, it is vital to make sure that they are sorted out quickly.
- Structure of the URL. Most search engines consider URLs as a ranking factor when it comes to identifying the relevance of a specific page or site to a query. Because of this, you must use actual words (preferably keywords) instead of numbers, symbols, and special characters.
Pay-per-click marketing or PPC is another way to outrank the competition in search results and elevate online visibility. There may be a lot of factors to consider when it comes to where and how the ads appear on the search engine’s results, but we’ve narrowed down some of the practiced and proven methods of maximizing your website’s position on the SERPs.
- From the outset of the advertising campaign, it is good standard practice to make a higher bid than what is recommended by the cost-per-click or CPC. What this will do is improve the CTR or click-through ratio of the chosen ads at the start. Since search engines not unlike Google tend to favor those with decent CTR, there’s a good chance that your website will still take advantage of prominent positioning even when you lower the bids.
- It is critical to follow all of the guidelines for improving the quality score of Adword. The reason that it is important is that a higher score will lead to a better rank which, in turn, will determine the selected ad positioning.
- One type of ad format that a brand must also make use of are ad extensions. They are basically information relevant to the business, such as location, contact number, and promotional offers. Doing so will give users a lot more reasons to start clicking, giving your ads the opportunity to outperform those which usually appear at the top of the results.
- With PPCs, it is imperative for marketers and business owners to monitor their ad copies. The inclusion of an eye-catching headline, a clear CTA, or succinct text will net you great returns on CTR and position the ad higher.
One of the most competitive areas on the internet is the search results page, and to get to the top, you’ll need to build a custom web design that functions as well as it looks, and adopt smart online advertising strategies in the process. And with the practices and techniques outlined in this article, you’ll give your brand’s website a chance to dominate with search results.